OBJECTIVE : To investigate the relations between venturi meter and discharge coefficient.
Inlet P6103 Constant Head Inlet Tank with overflow pipe extension fitted.
Test Section Cussons P6227 Venturi meter.
Outlet P6104 Variable Head Outlet Tank.
Manometer Two of the single manometer tubes.
Set Up Make sure the apparatus was set up correctly
(a) Independent : Venturi meter size
(b) Dependent : Discharge Coefficient
HYPOTHESIS: In the experiment of water flow rate through a section, the discharge coefficient, Cd is depending on the size of the venturi meter.
1. Before starting the experiment, the apparatus need to be inspects so that it was in good condition for experiment.
2. Use 3cm venturi meter for this experiment. Turn on the pump and let the water to run freely for a while.
3. Make sure there is no bubble trapped in the venturi meter. If there is no bubble, then set the flow rate to 10litre/min by adjusting the inlet valve. Make sure the outlet valve is fully open.
4. Let the water to run around 30 seconds so that the water level on the manometer can stabilize. After the water level on the manometer stabilize, take the inlet and outlet reading.
5. Change the 3 cm venturi meter to 5 cm venturi meter and repeat step 3 and 4.
6. Write all readings on the table and calculate H, Q, A2, and ?. After that determine the value of Cd using the equation.
CONCLUSION : The value of Cd can be determine and at different size of venturi meter, the discharge coefficient is different this is mostly effected by the inside diameter of the venturi meter. In this case the bigger venturi meter has higher Cd and our hypothesis is true where the size of venturi meter affected the discharge coefficient, Cd.
This was the Methodology assignment that we need to submit for Methodology subject.. If i do something wrong with the experiment procedure please let me know.